LONGWAVE YOGA POSE OF THE MONTH
June: Surya Mudra
Surya Mudra, also referred to as Agni Mudra, is said to regulate the heat in the body. It is believed that this mudra stokes the inner-fire to decrease inertia and increase vitality in the body. As such, it increases metabolism and digestion. Additionally, this mudra can assist in improving eyesight, relieving indigestion, and alleviating common cold symptoms. We recommend exploring this mudra in your meditation and asana practice.
1. To use this mudra in a meditation practice, sit upright and flip the palms to face the sky.
2. Bend the ring finger of each hand toward the palm and place the pad of the thumb on top of the ring finger between the first joint and the knuckle.
3. Press down on the ring finger with your thumb.
4. Ensure that the other fingers are straight.
5. The more pressure you place on your ring finger, the more you will ignite your inner fire.
If you are predominately pitta, practice this mudra in moderation. Not sure if you are pitta? Take this dosha test!